This is the era of the educated and empowered woman. Women today have conquered and made their presence felt in every field – including the tech space, which till recently was known to be a man’s domain. Women leaders like Padmasree Warrior (Cisco), Neelam Dhawan (HP), Aruna Jayanthi (Capgemini), Krithiga Reddy (Facebook), and Vanitha Narayan (IBM), among many others, are known globally for their work and have helped put Indian women on the global tech map.
With so many role models to follow and learn from, it is only a matter of time that our women will also make a mark in the growing tech startup ecosystem – where their participation is being called for.
The current environment, in which there is awareness of and solutions for the difficulties entrepreneurs face in starting up, is most conducive for all – men or women, with brilliant ideas to give wings to their entrepreneurial dreams.
It is to help further this startup movement and to support the women founders in the tech space, that NASSCOM is hosting NASSCOM 10,000 Start Ups Change Maker Summit 2016 on 7th October, 2016, in Bengaluru.
This year, NASSCOM received a whooping 300 applications from startups founded by women for this opportunity, with applications from e-commerce, fintech, AI, and IoT leading the way. All the applications received were reviewed by some of the leading accelerators, incubators, investors, and enterprises from across the country and the best 100 among them have been invited to attend the Change Maker Summit 2016.
It gives us great pleasure to share that during the screening and shortlisting process:
- 9 startups have been selected by Tata Elxsi for their 3-month accelerator program and from these 9, a few will also be selected for a funding of INR 10-60 lakhs.
- 30 startups have been selected by Zone start ups for their 2-week focused acceleration program – EmpoWer, a program specifically designed for women entrepreneurs.
- 15 women entrepreneurs have been selected by Zone startups for mentoring, training via workshops and case studies, and for providing them a platform to interact and network with industry, peers, and investors. The selected participants will also receive financial support of INR 60 lakhs and access to professional services.
- 1 fin-tech startup has been selected for business connect and GTM support by Societe Generale
- Pitney Bowes, IIMB, Axilor, and other major accelerators will be selecting candidates at the event during the live pitching rounds.
Apart from this, 3-4 startups stand to acquire collateral free loans from government funds, and another 3-4 startups can look at acquiring angel funding during the event.
Given all the interest that the event has already garnered from both the startup ecosystem stakeholders and participants, it will an action-packed day for all the attendees – the investors, accelerators, start ups, mentors and others form the industry.
Here are some of exciting things that the attendees can look forward to –
- Announcement of the names of the startups that have been selected by the accelerators for their programs.
- Top 5 startups will get an opportunity to pitch to a panel of angel investors at the shark tank event.
- An opportunity to live pitch to Government bodies to acquire a collateral free loan of up to 50 lacs
- An opportunity to live pitch to participating incubators and accelerators to join their program
- An opportunity for mentoring by leading experts
- Interesting workshops on design, marketing and growth
This is not all, they will also get to interact with and hear some well-known industry experts and entrepreneurs like Vani Kola, from Kalaari Capital, Amit Somani of Angel Prime, Keren Levy, COO Payoneer, Lathika Pai of Sonder Connect, and Padmaja Ruparel of IAN, to name a few.
We hope that this summit, held in association with Sonder Connect and CEE, will set the path for all industry stakeholders to further the startup movement in India. Let us work towards creating change together and become the best startup system in the world!